Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Minor Meltdown with Math

Brian thinks I'm now going to be known as "the girl who flips out." I got an 85 on my math exam. I expected a 90+. I have been taking math courses and doing problem after problem for over a year. I just finished the Math for Nurses class here at MCC last semester and had taken one last summer at BHCC, which I loved and where I learned the fabulous dimensional analysis method. In Medical Assisting we did some math and I had very few problems. I like to do it. I have a plethora of workbooks I practice on. I think I should go to the math tutor once a week or every other week from now on just to keep it going.

So they handed me my test and I sat down to look at it and the tears started streaming down my face. I was so upset. I could see I made errors with decimals. And one really sloppy one. I did have two hours of sleep and realize that is just not a good idea before and exam. So I booked it out and started crying as soon as I hit the bathroom. Prof. Burke came in after me. This is the second or third time she's done damage control with me but I think she's sweet and find her very reasonable and calming. I just said that I was so disappointed in myself and that I worked on this so much. We went back into the lab to see what I did and I could see the mistakes. I said I needed to use more paper so that I could just make it cleaner and of course was told, "use as much as you need." I have to just calm down, slow down. I can do this math. I can do gtts for IV calculations!! Another prof started to point something out and she didn't seem to see the dimensional analysis. Fine. Everyone uses another method and they use the ration method but I can't hear it. I get too confused and she mentioned that I didn't convert and I said, the conversion are right here. I set everything up correctly but messed up on the math. She threw the paper down on the desk and walked away which is something I would do. When I left I said both thank you and sorry. Brian thinks I need to do damage control but my therapist said to let it ride. I don't know what to do because I do not want a repeat of other similar situations where I just let everything get all bottled up inside and then explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment