Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Doubts, Stress and blood pressure

Taking my quiz on blood pressure again, I found myself freaking out a bit even after I had completed it with the 80% that I needed. Of course everything that I went over yesterday helped but didn't really. The questions were different. At about 12:30 last night Brian and I started to talk about what I got wrong and I jumped out of bed and got my steth and blood pressure cuff. We tried it with a loose cuff and tight cuff. Brian also related it to a pool and then to a whirlpool. Very helpful. In a pool of water, there is more pressure at the bottom of the pool versus the top. One side of the pool has the same amount of pressure as the other side. In a whirlpool, you feel the power when you put your hand right next to the water spout it's really strong and if you are sitting away from it, it's not as much.

So I go to open lab after class to practice taking blood pressures. Though I know how to take them, I get nervous when being tested. The nurse in charge there told me I had high blood pressure, that I should "keep an eye on it" and it had been high for the past few days. I think it's stress-related and actually do not really even care all that much though I guess it would be a drag to deal with it. I know I need to lose more weight. I cut out dairy this year and I work out regularly.

On my way home today, I found myself near tears as I though about going to clinical tomorrow. I just am non-plussed about having it in a nursing home. I know it's only five more weeks but I just am not interested. I shouldn't have to do it because I know I am better than a stupid nursing home. It's a waste of my time! Day by day. Take it one day at a time. I think that I have really bad expectations that I will be stuck doing four hours of work that I used to do as a nursing assistant.

No comments:

Post a Comment