Monday, May 19, 2008

Summer Jobs

I have to train for about four weeks--DAYS-- for a per diem position. The ironic aspect here is that I am not guaranteed a set number of hours each week. I really don't want to work as a nursing assistant. I guess that's the bottom line. It's such crappy work.

does that make ANY sense? I also want to work evenings and I have to train during the day. I never understood that except that I guess there's more going on and they have more coverage.

Oh and get this! I've worked per-diem in the Walk-In Center (full time until school started and then weekends) at Mount Auburn Hospital. Two full-time employees were hired and I was no longer needed. So I've been applying at other departments within MAH. One woman figured the timing would not fit with school and her needs via the phone. Another actually brought me in for an interview. Seemed all nice etal and then had HR call me to tell me that she (the nurse manager) would need me to keep on the hours once school began again in the fall. Was she kidding? I told her before I even interviewed my summer and my fall/school time availability. Why are people so dense? Why need she waste my time?

But here's the real kicker: Denise Breton is the interim nurse manager for the Emergency Department at MAH as well as my manager in the Walk-In Center. She has never had anything but kind words for my work and my peformance. She even told me how much a doctor, with a reputation for being "difficult," sang my praises (it's easy if you stay a step ahead and do not get rattled). So there are two per-diem positions listed in the job postings I grabbed last week from Human Resources. Denise informs me that the positions are FILLED! Oh really? Two weeks after their April 28 post date. It took the hospital two months to hire me after my initial interview/application! I just dont buy it and would appreciate some honesty.

People claim they are supportive of your goals to become a nurse. "So wonderful." But in reality they are rarely supportive. They just want all the shit work done. It's about what you can do for them. They are not interested in mentoring someone to grow into their field and add fresh nurses to the work force. Why would they? You are competition. Other nursing assistants are jealous because they think you think you are superior to them or you have an upper hand because you are in nursing school (which can be true) and the nurses treat you like crap because they want you to remain at the bottom of the rung. They could care less if you learn anything along the way. They don't care if you are going to be a nurse because then that puts you on a level playing field with them.



We can allow ourselves to keep changing and growing and evolving. Actually, we're supposed to.
Maria Shriver, Just Who Will You Be?

No comments:

Post a Comment